Saturday, April 15, 2006

Why I created cl1p.net

I was testing a application and I ran into a familiar, and frustrating problem. For each test I needed to modify settings and gather test data from each machine. Because they where on a separate network, running different operating systems the only way to sync the settings was to print out a copy from my machine and then manually enter it on each test machine, at least that's how it was done when I joined the team.

I tried to speed things up by using FTP but did not have access to a ftp site. Also on some of the test machines. (Macs) I wasn't sure where the FTP client was or how to use it, I also tried webmail and that worked for most of the test machines, however some did not have a browser that could support my gmail account.

It was taking far too long just to move data between machines. There had to be a better way.

So I created cl1p.net and it has saved me tons of time. Now whenever I need to move test settings around I just open up a URL that starts with cl1p.net. (For example I used http://cl1p.net/mayhew/td ) and post my settings. Then from each test machine I enter in the same URL.

I hope you find cl1p.net as useful as I do. Enjoy.

No comments: